MIMI-TORIA"S DESIGNS ONLINE Square Market Online Store

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jewelry at the "French Flea" & other Fun Stuff

Isn't this the cutest French poodle you've ever seen? She's nestled in amongst some fabulous silver candle sticks that are for sale at the shop, and I've added the bottle brush trees to some of them for a fun and different look. Later in this post you will see other smalls that I'm selling at the shop this holiday season.

Mimi-Toria's Jewelry Display Area at the "French Flea"
Here is a photo of my entire space. It is small, but adequate. I figured out it is about 10' in length by 3' deep and goes up to the ceiling for height. I'm trying to figure out with the space allowed what is the best way to display jewelry for maximum amount, as well as still giving the customers easy access to viewing, touching and trying the jewelry on. We'll see how this arrangement works out this month. It will be the first time it is set up like this, with a large mirror for viewing and access to the frames without stuff being too much in front of them.
As we move further to the left, you'll notice there is a wide array of items on this side. Because I have Isabella on the right side a lot of the jewelry is displayed on the left. Just so happens that I have a small door wall that allows for the large grey shutter filled with "junk" style jewelry to be displayed.
I also created a vintage wheel display for many of my button style necklaces which is in the foreground, as well as another smaller mannequin which is displaying crystal bling necklaces. I then have two smaller frames filled with earrings, with one for silver and one for gold as well as a large frame displaying many necklaces.

I'm loving these new crown charms I purchased this past month to design with for the holidays.
As we view from the right side, you'll see Isabella, my wonderful mannequin addition. On the far right there is a cool black rod iron filigree piece that defines my space, but is mostly their for aesthetics.
As you move closer you'll see that Isabella is holding her own. She's wearing about six necklaces and is loving being a part of the "French Flea".

Two more wall frames are in places behind Isabella. She tries to make her hips skinny, so that customers can reach around them to check out the fun vintage pocket watch face necklaces. We'll see how this arrangement goes this month. Isabella may be put on a diet!


Pocket watch faces and flying bird accents are my trademark.
This is an original design by Gretchen of Mimi-Toria's.
Vintage white Czech glass beads in opaque with rhinestone roundels.
Notice some of the vintage pieces I use for display. The warm toned vintage suitcase, the rusty claw bathtub foot, the vintage crystal lamp, the vintage gold crown filigree display piece on the suitcase and the grey oval little girl in the frame is used to talk about my jewelry design.

My new business cards, with a hand display that Robyn, a fellow vendor found and gave to me with a bracelet on it that I created using an array of vintage finds. Details of it are below.

This bracelet has been all hand wire-wrapped with the utmost care. Lots of hours involved in creating this, and it will have to be for the perfect fit, as I am not adjusting this bracelet.
I had to drill each one of these holes in the gold shoe clip in order to create this bracelet. All of the beads which include these wonderful gold fluted as well as the aurora borealis crystals are vintage and only the 14 kt gold filled wire is new. The clasp is also vintage.

Isabella & Buffet
In a recent post I shared with you that a few of my dreams had come true. You see I've wanted a mannequin for a long time to use as a jewelry display, and have been searching for a piece of furniture that was perfect for my jewelry display area at the "French Flea". I was patient and time paid off, a Anne one of our vendors had found both of these pieces last month, which I was then able to acquire through her for my space. This month, I was able to add to that a wonderful small black table as well as a mirror for above my buffet. I think I'm set now, and will just have to tweak things a bit in the future. Let me know your thoughts through comments on my blog. Does this space beckon you to want to come see my jewelry? Would you be pulled in by the display if you were shopping at the French Flea? Please share your thoughts. Now, for a bit more about these wonderful treasures . . .

Look at these details on Isabella . . .

Rumor has it her former life was with a fur designer and now she's stuck with a jewelry designer. I think the load I put on her is a bit lighter than the furs she's used to holding in place.
I hope she's happy.

Awesome vintage details!
Love the original letters on this.


Love the wire on the bottom and the stand too.

Thanks to Anne, she's mine - - -
Buffet Display
Look at the details on this display piece. Notice the curved front as well as sides. Love it!
I really love the glass knobs they used to have on these vintage pieces.
Details . . .
Look at this molding . . . The grey paint wash over this piece was applied by Julie before I even saw it and it really hi-lites the details of this piece. Thanks Julie for doing this for me. I truly love this piece for my jewelry display area and appreciate your artistic touches you added to it.

What is it about curves? Just love them.
Other Fun Stuff I Sell in the Shop

I also sell smalls at the shop. Below I've featured in these photos some of the types of things I sell in addition to my jewelry. I also collect to sell vintage silver, crystal, pretty misc. items, umbrellas, tins, buttons, cloches, and anything else that may go with this theme.

I re purposed the silver candle holder that is displayed with my
jewelry and affixed a bottle brush style tree instead of a candle.

This is what greats the customers when you come inside the front door. This Frenchy colored dresser/storage piece, the wonderful french door, feathered wreath and mix of silver and silvered candle holders with my mini trees.

Details of the beautiful silver pieces that are offered up at the French Flea shop. Yum!

Again, the bottle brush style trees are mine.
The silver compote in front is something I have for sale at the shop.
I fell in love with the detailing on this piece as well as the bird on top.

The ceramic angel and trophy cup with tree are mine.
The little tree is mine.

"Wise men still seek Him . . . "
This is my vignette. I found this cool bell shaped wire thing this week at an occasional sale and created this and used it as a cloche. I have more photos at this site where I'm a contributor, and have posted a post about these elements.

For lots more photos of the French Flea that I took yesterday during final set up day and work day, go to Julie's French Flea blog and check them out.

4 comments:

  1. Wildly Wonderful... I love it ALL! Simply Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen, looks like you have a "ton" of jewelery this month! Looks great. Can't wait to see all of it! When it comes to designing and creating jewelry, you are the best!

    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so drooling, it all looks fabulous!! Hugs, Janna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what's new! I LOVE you work. Shelly

    ReplyDelete

I am so thankful you took the time to let me know what you think about what I write and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. :)

Mimi-Toria's Design Jewelry Style